Do you start each day with good intentions to get fit and healthy only to find yourself falling back into the same old habits again? Setting SMART goals and creating a fitspiration board will empower you to achieve your dreams. With just a few easy steps, you will be writing your own success story.
SMART goals are:
What do you want to accomplish? Do you want to lose 20 pounds, lower your cholesterol, train for a marathon, or impress people at your next high school reunion? Be specific and write down your goals.
Don’t wander aimlessly with no direction. What can you do each day to make your goals a reality? Will you keep a food journal daily or walk a set amount of steps? Measurable goals keep you focused.
Be realistic. You probably won’t achieve the extreme weight loss or fitness levels you see on popular TV shows. Setting lofty goals that are impossible to achieve is setting yourself up to fail. What is going to work with your unique life situation?
Are your goals relevant to what you want the outcome to be? Don’t get distracted by every new health trend that comes along. Don’t veer off the path to success. Set your goals and stick to them.
Be sure your goal is time-bound. Setting both short-term and long-term goals will give you a target to aim for and keep you looking ahead. You can’t reach for something that isn’t there.
Now that you’ve defined your SMART goals, it’s time to motivate yourself to success with an inspiration board. Fitspiration is where the inspiration to get fit and healthy goes visual. Collect your favorite quotes, images, and articles related to the SMART goals you’ve established. You can use a simple bulletin board, art canvas, or poster board to place your items on.
It’s all about you. There’s no right or wrong way to create your board. The purpose is to motivate yourself to success with a visual reminder of what you hope to accomplish. Have fun with your board. Let your unique personality shine through.
Searching online for images of fitspiration boards will give you some ideas. You can update your fitspiration board as often as you like with new images and quotes. Be sure to place your board in a location where you see it frequently throughout the day.
At times you may feel a little overwhelmed when starting a new fitness adventure. Your SMART goals, combined with your fitspiration board, will remind you of where you are going. Think of them as empowering tools on your journey to success.
About the author: Michelle Pino has provided these tips in hopes to educate others on how to lead a more motivating and less stressful life. Michelle believes more focused approach put on our health will result in more balanced life. Her hobbies include cooking, reading and learning about healthy lifestyles. Michelle is thankful to have had the opportunity to work with Lorraine and together share their ideas on “Just One Cupcake”.
• Everyone has his or her own source of inspiration, but to me the outdoors is my inspiration, so I’m using this as the anchor of my motivational board. As part of my initiative to spend more time doing activities outdoors, I’ve started to learn to golf at Atunyote course an Upstate NY resort near my work. What I like about it is that it’s a leisurely sport, nothing too strenuous.
• Love this quote, so simple, yet so true! Source: Do What You Love
• An easy to way to stir up some motivation is to treat yourself to some new workout gear! Choose fun colors that will make you excited to show them off at the gym! Source: Sneakers
• Your body needs nutritious foods as fuel for when you exercise. A great source of clean eating recipes is Clean and Delicious. They have delicious recipes along with instructional videos including a clean chicken & veggie stir-fry recipe.
• Part of my initiative to spend more times outdoors this summer is to go for simple walks, or a leisurely bike rides with friends.